THESSALONIKI CITY BREAK
THESSALONIKI WEEKEND - WALK IN THE NEIGHBORHOODS OF THE BEAUTIFUL CITY
Thessaloniki is the second largest city of Greece and the most important centre in North Greece. It is a modern metropolis bearing the marks of its stormy history Archaeological sites, Byzantine monuments, Amazing Ottoman monuments
Thessaloniki, since the 4th c. BC when it was founded, has been ruled by great empires, as it has known the Roman, Byzantine and Ottoman Rule. The town was also greatly influenced by many ethnic and religious groups Jews, Latins, Armenians and Greeks from Constantinople and Pontus. The numerous monuments, dating to many historical periods, manifest Thessaloniki’s historical multicultural and cosmopolitan nature.
Tour Code: THE_03cb
Duration: 3 days / 2 nights
Season: All the year round, weekend recemented
Location: Thessaloniki city
Style: Walking tour, History, photography
- Archaeological sites: ancient forum 2nd-3rd c. AD, the palace complex of Galerius Maximianus (4th c. AD), the thermae, the hippodrome, the famous Stoa of the Idols, the Triumphal Arch of Galerius (305 AD), the Rotunda is an early 4th.
- Byzantine monuments: Tenths of Byzantine churches build 5th – 14th century and Agios Dimitrios, a splendid basilica dedicated to the patron saint and protector of the city. The byzantine walls. The archaeological site in 3 Septemvriou St., with remnants of a cemetery basilica, a martyrion and Early Christian graves. The byzantine bathhouse and the Heptapyrgion castle.
- Ottoman monuments: The White Tower, the Mosques of the Hamza Bey Cami and Aladja Imaret Cami, the Turkish Hamams (turkish bathhouses), thr Bezesteni cloth market
- Focal points in the city: Old City (Ano Polis), the historical quarter of the Ladadika and the central Aristotelous Square open to the waterfront.
- Jewish monuments: The Jewish quarter where the main Jewish community used to live and work for centuries. Jewish museum, the Holocaust Memorial, Synagogue “Yad Hzicaron” and Modiano market with its many charming little tavernas and food shops.
- Transportation with private Luxury car or minivan
- Experienced En speaking driver
- Hotels 3*, 4*, 5*
- Meals Half Board(B,_,D)
- Official En speaking local guides
- Meet & Greet on the arrival at the airport
- Greek night with live bouzouki music.
- Flight tickets
- Hotel accommodation tax (1.5€ per day per room for 3* hotels, 3€ per day per room for 4* hotels, 4€ per day per room for 5* hotels)
*All packages are flexible and dynamic for any changes according to any personal needs and desires upon request.
Conduct us for more available packages in the area
Welcome to Thessaloniki, Greece!
Day 1: Thessaloniki arrival – City tour (_,_,D)
Morning arrival at Thessaloniki airport. Meet our guide and welcome. Thessaloniki city tour including Rotunda, Galerius Arch, Galerius palace, White Tower region, St. Demetrius church, Kastra. Transfer to your hotel. In the evening walk to a local tavern for dinner.
Day 2: Excursion to Athos Byzantine state (B,_,D)
Early morning drive (110 km – 1,5hrs) to Ormos Panagias port. Take the boat at 09.30 hrs for a traditional sailing to the coast of Sithonia, to Daphne port, the main port of Mount Athos. Heading north we reach the boarder of Athos mount Byzantine monastic state (which separates the outside world to that of Moun Athos), where we see four monasteries from the boat. After two-hour sailing we arrive to Big Sand beach of Ammouliani island , for relaxation on beach bar and lunch. In the afternoon we take our way back to Ormos Panagias port, enjoying the live bouzouki dancing show on board, where we arrive at 17:15 hrs. Bus transfer back to Thessaloniki. In the evening walk to Ladadika and have dinner at a tavern with Greek dishes, wine and live bouzouki music.
Day 3: Thessaloniki Jewish sites – cruise. (B,_,D
Morning visit to Jewish quarter, Jewish museum, Holocaust Memorial and Synagogue “Yad Hzicaron”. Next take the pirate boat for 1 hour cruise in Thermaikos gulf with drink on board. In the evening walk to Ladadika and have dinner at a tavern with Greek dishes, wine and live bouzouki music.
Alternative Day 3. Tour to Veria, Vergina and Edessa waterfalls (B,_,_)
After breakfast drive to Veria for a guided visit to Veria to visit the jewish section Barbouta with the synagogue of the 17th century. Continue to Vergina – the site of the Royal graves of the Macedonian kings, among them the tomb of king Philip father of Alexander the great. Then drive to Edessa water falls to admire the 70m high waterfalls. In the afternoon we continue to Thessaloniki airport for your flight back home.
Extra Day in Thessaloniki – upon request
For an extra day in Thessaloniki you can choose from the following excursions.
1) Meteora Excursion. Full day excursion to Meteora (r/t 460 km – 5,5 hrs). Guided visit to unique rock monasteries, built by hermits during the 14th – 16th c. AD. We’ll see 2 Byzantine Monasteries (too many steps) standing between earth and the sky atop huge rocks and containing historical and religious treasures. Today, out of initially 24 monasteries that used to exist, only 6 remain active for people to visit. Four of them are inhabited by monks and two by nuns. In old times the monks used long ladders tied together and baskets to transport themselves and their goods up the cliffs. There are still examples of these baskets which are used for bringing up provisions. In the afternoon drive back to Thessaloniki